Saturday, August 20, 2005

Yahoo! Messenger

Sometimes Yahoo! Messenger really annoys me.  Like the way I have to hit different keys on different platforms to view off line contacts.  What's up with that?  Is it really that hard to standardize on, say, "Control-H" everywhere? Also, the listed Unix client on the web site doesn't even work properly -- all your contacts appear off line.  The weird thing is, there is an official web site with an updated version of the client that, as far as I can tell, isn't even linked to from the Yahoo! Messenger site.  You'd think that a company that uses, supports, and promotes open source software would at least update their Unix and OS X clients more frequently.  I still can't send my contact info with anything but the latest Windows client -- and I have to use a beta release for that. I'm still trying to get people to use Jabber, but apart from one former co-worker, no one else I know uses it on a daily basis.

No comments: